- Keep adding mulch around the beds and walking paths, this is where we have the most foot traffic and where mulch gets compressed the most.
- Keep weeding areas around the raised beds and laying mulch and cardboard again. Overlap cardboard pieces so grass does not grow through. If you have questions ask Jill Conson, she has done a great job on the South side!!
- In the small triangular space in front of the banana circle and next to the future meeting space weeds need to be pulled and cardboard laid. Then cover with mulch.
- Plastic pieces and trash need to be picked up and put in the trash.
- Un-leased beds can be filled up with more soil.
- Weeding around trees can be done. Be mindful of the tree’s roots, they are still young.
- These areas need to be weeded by hand and carefully. Another option is laying cardboard around the trees and covering with mulch without removing weeds. Trees can be surrounded with log rings.
- If you find or have any oak logs please bring them to the garden.
- Mowing and weed-whacking whenever grass gets too high. Grass is not our enemy, as we mow and leve the grass clippings on the ground the soil is being build. The more shade and foot traffic we have the less grass will grow. During the colder months the growth rate of the grass will slow down or almost come to a stop. That may give us a head start. Don’t tire yourselves out by engaging in a battle against grass the fact that it crept in is a normal process. We have to work with it and not against it.
- Digging a trench underneath the South fence area using the banana circle as an example to lay cardboard underneath the chainlink fence. Then cover cardboard with mulch. This will help us stop grasses and weeds from creeping in so aggressively.
- Create your own raised bed sign with your corresponding bed number. Be creative! The sign should be made in a way that it can be attached to the outside of the bed. Please use the official numbering as this sign should be permanent for the bed you are currently leasing. it would be nice to see some artistic input a good idea could be to start with house numbers and paint them.
- If it does not rain much please water fruit trees and plants on the North perimeter.
If you have a contact for crushed concrete please talk to the Coordinator, we are looking to fill the swale on the North perimeter with a material that is low cost and that allows drainage.
- Always keep the mulch bucket near the compost filled with mulch. Make sure the compost is covered with mulch at all times.
- If hose heads and hoses are left extended please roll them up close to the spigot. Make sure water is turned off when you leave.
- Weeds go in the trash please!
Thank you for your Community Service!